News from EUPRERA
Communicating State of Emergency - 26.11.2012
Lugano, March 7-9 2013 - Deadline for abstract submission January 7 2013
Faculty of Communication Sciences “Università della Svizzera italiana”, Switzerland
James Madison Program Princeton University, USA
Communicating State of Emergency: Constitution, Individual Liberty and Political Communication
Lugano, Switzerland, March 7-9 2013
Scholars from Europe and the United States will gather to explore the political, legal and communication issues associated with various types of emergencies.
The objective is to explore issues involved with information dissemination and withholding during various types of emergencies to explore the modern challenges governments face in achieving public cooperation in protecting public health, safety and security from threats both natural and man-made.
Participants are expected to offer comparative perspectives that will provide the foundation for discussion that may in turn identify new theoretical frames for grappling with these issues as well as new strategic considerations.
Papers will focus on these tentative topics:
- War and Terrorism; Keynote speaker: Prof. Robert A. Pape, University of Chicago
- Threats to health; Keynote speaker: Prof. Leslie E. Gerwin, Princeton University
- Natural disasters; Keynote speaker: Prof. Marc Landy, Boston College University
- Financial crisis; Keynote speaker: Professor Timothy L. Sellnow, University of Kentucky
- Crisis communication and Public control; Keynote speaker: Professor Benjamin A. Kleinerman, Michigan State University
Abstracts (maximum 250 words), along with full contact information (title, name, affiliation, email) and a short biography (of between 50 and 100 words), should be submitted to email@example.com by January 7, 2013. Accepted papers will be announced in the first week of February 2013.
Prof. Maurizio Viroli, Andrea Ponzetta
LSM - Laboratory for Mediterranean Studies
tel. +41 (0)58 666 45 48