EUPRERA PhD Seminar
The aim of the EUPRERA PhD seminar, taking place every year soon before the EUPRERA annual congress, is to provide an international setting where doctoral students within public relations and strategic communication can present their ongoing work, get feedback from experts and peers and establish a valuable network for the future.
Comments from previous PhD Seminars
Was really helpful and I’ve also got some clear idea for my future works.
A chance to get input from someone with different perspectives and ideas on how to continue my work.
Participating in the EUPRERA PhD seminar was a great opportunity for me to discuss my own dissertation project with PhD students and senior scholars in a very constructive atmosphere.
Expect to meet PhD students from across Europe and beyond, train your presentation and feedback skills in an intercultural setting, and think out-of-the-box.
You’ll also receive first-hand advice on publication strategies and how to pursue an academic career.
PhD Seminar 2020
In the hope of finding you all in good health, we want to assure you that the Board is considering all possible scenarios in view of the congress, depending on how and when the emergency will be contained.
In case you’re attending also the congress, thus you have to reserve a room for the days after the seminar, please make sure to book the accommodation as soon as possible with the option “free cancellation”: other big congresses have been postponed to October and hotels might go in overbooking. We also added a few more hotels in the travel section of the congress website.
The seminar is intended for early/mid-stage PhD-students in public relations, organizational communication, and/or strategic communication. It provides an international setting for next generation of scholars. During three days, participants will get the chance to network and discuss their work in depth and get feedback from experts and peers. Active participation is expected meaning that everyone prepares comments to papers that are distributed in advance. In addition, two designated respondents will be appointed per paper and provide written feedback ahead of the seminar dates. The seminar will also include presentations and discussions around topics such as the process of writing a PhD, developing an academic career, and the relationship between PhD-student and advisor.
There will be a limited number of 10 participants. When the application criteria are met, the principle will be first come, first served. Deadline for applications: June 30, 2020.
- A one-page abstract presenting the dissertation (must explicitly address public relations, organizational communication, and/or strategic communication) and proof of enrolment in a PhD-program, to be sent to Øyvind Ihlen (firstname.lastname@example.org) by June 30, 2020.
If accepted, participants are expected confirm their attendance and submit the following:
- 10-page paper based on the PhD-project. The paper should follow the standard structure of introduction of the topic of interest, research question, literature review of the theory that is or will be applied, description and discussion of the methodological approach, analysis/discussion and (tentative) conclusion. If the dissertation is article based, it is possible to pull out one of the articles and present this alongside an introduction note detailing the context of the piece. You should also pose three questions concerning the type of feedback you are looking for. Deadline: to be defined.
- One page of comments for each of two papers (will be allocated after August 30), addressing the quality of the research questions, theory, method and/or analysis, to be distributed to the participant. Deadline: to be defined, it will be some days before the seminar.
Programme and presentations
A detailed program will be distributed in early September.
An important role of the PhD seminar is the opportunity to network with peers. It is important to share the working hours as well as the time for socializing with the seminar group. Therefore, you should not plan private tourist activities during the seminar days.
It is highly recommended that PhD students attend the congress as well as the seminar. You can take advantage of the special package fee including both events (registration instructions will be sent after the abstract approval). During the congress, a panel session will be set aside for the students to present.
To register to the PhD seminar, first you need to submit your application and then, if approved, you will get the seminar registration code.
- Registration fees (including 3 nights + 3 breakfasts + 3 lunches + seminar materials):
- Seminar only € 350
- Seminar + congress € 450
- Special cases:
- Discount € 50 if arriving on Tuesday early morning (2 nights + 2 breakfasts + 3 lunches + seminar materials)
- Possibility to ask for 1 grant, only if not funded by the university
Professor, University of Oslo
Post-doc, University of Wien
Further details will be communicated soon on this page.
If you don’t want to miss any update, send us an email email@example.com and we’ll keep you posted.